Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.





I have fallen down on my job as book club chronicler as I now see that
I have missed several books so I am going to  try my best to recall the missed ones.
Carol Branson  chose "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Annie Barrows
based on research by Mary  Ann Shaffer who is now deceased.
and we met in April at Rockstone for discussion.
I remember everyone being delighted with this novel which was set on the
 English Channel island called Guernsey.
It is a book of letters exchanged with an author and the members of  the Guernsey 
Literary and Potato Peel Pie society who formed a book club during the
Nazi occupation of their island during the second world war.
Not only is food scarce but so are books. Some people only read the same authors
 and what is available such as Shakespeare, Jane Austen and The Brontes.
We were all delighted with these quirky lovable characters as they navigated
the war with humor, bravery, kindness and optimism. The author not only finds a
subject for her next novel but a husband for life. 
We found out that the book has made Guernsey a popular destination for
tourism and we all thought it would be a great place for us to visit.
We are also awaiting the movie which is in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment